Coronavirus: Torino could face forfeit after failing to fulfil Serie A fixture against Lazio
Lazio’s Serie A match against Torino descended into farce on Tuesday as they turned up at the Stadio Olimpico despite Torino being stuck in quarantine more than 600km away following a Covid-19 outbreak.
In a bizarre repeat of Juventus’ abandoned clash with Napoli earlier this season, contradictory instructions from a local health authority (ASL) and the league body resulted in Lazio turning up for the scheduled 6.30pm (1730 GMT) kick-off and waiting 45 minutes before the game was officially abandoned.
Lazio coach Simone Inzaghi named a team for the game, but his players were left to amuse themselves as some danced on the touchline and others messed around with unused pitchside camera equipment.
“I could say a lot of things but I’ll keep them to myself. We’ve respected the rules by coming to the stadium, Lazio sporting director Igli Tare told Sky Italia.
“We’ll wait for 45 minutes as per regulations, then we’ll leave it in the hands of the authorities.”
The Torino squad was instructed to quarantine by the Turin ASL until midnight on Tuesday after eight players and two staff members tested positive for the coronavirus.
Their match against Sassuolo last Friday was suspended due to the outbreak, but Italian news agency ANSA reported that the Lega Serie A council unanimously decided in an urgent meeting on Tuesday that the game in Rome should go ahead as planned, leaving Torino owner Urbano Cairo furious.
“You don’t defend the league by not taking note of objective reality. We can’t leave Turin, that much is obvious, he told La Presse.
“It’s a decision that speaks for itself. I expect logical things to be done, if you add one plus one you shouldn’t have to go through a thousand steps to get to two.”
Torino are likely to be handed a 3-0 defeat for failing to turn up for the scheduled kick-off, a punishment they are expected to appeal…..read more
Source: Sky Sports