Oscar-winning actor Cuba Gooding Jr. has been indicted by a New York grand jury in his groping case – with a new and previously uncharged incident added to the charges. As a result, his trial on the original charge, set to begin Thursday, was postponed and a new arraignment was scheduled for Oct. 15.
Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Jenna Long filed a “certificate of affirmative grand jury action” Thursday, according to Justin Henry, spokesman for the Manhattan District Attorney’s office.
He said the indictment and the details of the charges will not be unsealed until Gooding’s arraignment on the indictment next week.
Gooding was originally charged in June with misdemeanor groping stemming from a New York City bar encounter with a 29-year-old woman.
His trial was supposed to start in September and jury selection was supposed to begin. But instead the case was postponed because prosecutors said they were still waiting for evidence in the case.
Mark Heller, one of Gooding’s New York defense attorneys, told USA TODAY in an email that the defense was “ready for a trial” this week. He did not immediately return a call requesting comment on the new developments……..read more
Source: USA Today