Prince Andrew has given “zero cooperation” to the FBI in its investigation into late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, despite publicly offering his assistance, a US prosecutor said Monday.
The British royal denies claims he had sex with a 17-year-old girl procured by Epstein and said in November he was “willing to help any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations, if required.”
But New York attorney Geoffrey Berman, who is leading an investigation into possible co-conspirators of the disgraced US financier, said Andrew was yet to respond to a request by the FBI and his office for an interview.
“To date, Prince Andrew has provided zero cooperation,” Berman, the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, told reporters.
Berman gave the comments during a news conference outside Epstein’s former Manhattan mansion, which Andrew has admitted staying at.
He said he would not normally comment on whether individuals were cooperating but made an exception for the prince because of his statement offering help.
“It’s fair for people to know whether Prince Andrew has followed through with that public commitment,” said Berman.
Buckingham Palace did not immediately respond to request for comment.
Queen Elizabeth II’s second son stepped back from frontline royal duties after he faced outrage over an interview with the BBC late last year in which he defended his friendship with Epstein.
Andrew, 59, also denied having sexual relations with Virginia Giuffre, who alleges she was trafficked to have sex with friends of Epstein when she was 17.
Epstein, 66, killed himself in a New York jail in August while awaiting trial on sex-trafficking charges.
He was a multi-millionaire hedge fund manager who befriended countless celebrities over the years, including US President Donald Trump.
Epstein was charged with one count of sex trafficking of minors and another of conspiracy to commit sex trafficking of minors.
He denied the charges but was facing up to 45 years in jail if found guilty……..read more