Prince Harry and Meghan to axe 15 staff members at Buckingham Palace
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are to close their Buckingham Palace office, as 15 members of staff facing losing their jobs in the clearest sign yet the couple are leaving Britain behind.
The couple, who are currently living in Canada amid plans to lay down roots in North America, have told loyal staff members their office is closing. Some may be reabsorbed into other households, while others take the chance to make a fresh start elsewhere after a deeply trying period within the palace.
In a clear sign of the Sussex’s plans for the future, in which they will strive for “financial independence” outside their former life as working royals, it was decided that a working base in the UK and dedicated staff are no longer necessary.
Last night, the Daily Mail reported that the Duke and Duchess had told staff the news in person last month. Many of their team have been long-standing members of the Royal Households, moving from Kensington Palace and the main Buckingham Palace office to work for the Sussexes over the last two years. Most are said to be negotiating redundancy packages, and have been aware of their fates for a short time.
It comes after a difficult period in which the Duke and Duchess have declined to take advice from within the household, surrounded instead by multiple external advisers, famous and well-connected friends, and private agencies.
Those affected include the couple’s new private secretary Fiona Mcilwham, who was on secondment from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and had only started the role in the autumn. Sara Latham, their experienced communications secretary who is widely viewed as trusted confidante of the couple, will also leave Buckingham Palace.
The couple have been in close communication with members of their team until recently, with staff remaining loyally discreet in making arrangements for them despite their personal circumstances.
They have continued to plan for the couple’s final engagements in the UK before they officially leave as “senior” members, including an appearance at Commonwealth Day and the Mountbatten Festival of Music at the Royal Albert Hall on March 7.
Prince Harry and Meghan are also expected to attend several meetings relating to their patronages……..read more
Source: The Telegraph