Trump says Iran’s ‘unprovoked attack’ on U.S. drone was likely not intentional
President Trump on Thursday said he doesn’t believe Iran meant to shoot down a U.S. drone and that it was probably “a mistake.”
“It was a general or somebody who made a mistake in shooting that drone down,” President Trump said from the Oval Office, appearing alongside Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
Iran’s latest shootdown of a U.S. military drone appears to fit exactly the scenario that a senior U.S. general warned earlier this week would trigger an American military response, dragging the United States into a military conflict the Trump administration has said it does not want.
“We’ve been very clear in our message that if they directly engage U.S. forces, or they directly engage U.S interests or citizens in the region, that we will respond,” Air Force Gen. Paul Selva, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters Tuesday, before the drone shootdown.
Iran shot down the U.S. Navy RQ-4A Global Hawk drone early Thursday morning local time over the Strait of Hormuz, according to a statement from Navy Capt. Bill Urban, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command, which is responsible for U.S. military operations in the Middle East…….read more
Source: Yahoo News